"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people — for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." 1 Timothy 2:1-4
Scripture instructs us to pray for all in authority, but it also makes practical sense to pray for our leaders. Their decisions and actions influence our country, our lives, our jobs, our churches, and our families. It is only through prayer and a return to Christian ideals that we can find peace and manifest God's kingdom on earth.
We must pray for our leaders in all areas and levels of our society.
Leaders of Other Countries
Supreme Court Justices
Senators and Representatives
County & City Officials
Safety Officials (Police, Fire Department, EMTs)
School Authorities (Administrators & Teachers)
Religious and Spiritual Leaders
Volunteers (Public & Private)
But what should we pray for?
That our leaders will
- Turn their hearts and minds to God and be guided by the Bible and its teachings
- Live according to God’s will and be a witness to those in need of Christ’s gospel
- Find God-fearing and wise counselors and advisors
- Have courage to defend Biblical views and principles
- Value accountability, honesty, and integrity
- Resist ungodly pressures and temptations
- Fight to restore morality in our families and our society
- Defend the sanctity of life including the unborn
- Confess their sins and repent when transgressions occur
Specifically, we should pray for...
- Truth in the media
- A ban on abortion and other kinds of murder
- Policies which safeguard our borders and eliminate illegal immigration
- A reaffirmation of traditional marriage
- A rejection of sinful lifestyles and gender issues
- A return to prayer in schools
- A way to advance God’s kingdom
- God to continue to bless America